2018 SALoveList's 26 Favorite Things To Do in San Antonio
As the year comes to a close I’ve come to reflect a lot of milestone’s I’ve reached this year. SALoveList grew to be one and I hit 10k followers. So with that comes the coveted who’s who on my list.
The places I’ve picked are the ones where I feel most at home. For me finding places that I can return to time and time again are what makes them places I want to recommend. I take people there because while they're experiencing something new- I can sit back and focus on my favorite thing, talking.
I am pleased to share these things that I hold ever so dearly.
1. Toro Kitchen and Bar: If you've been following me for a while then you know I love to travel. You also know that fell in love with Spain and paella. It's no secret that this place serves my favorite version of paella and they make the most amazing octopus dish. It makes missing Spain a little easier but it also makes me want to plan another trip there.
2. The Courtyard at the McNay: I will get hyper specific and say that I became a member of the McNay exclusively to be able to sit and hang out there on the regular so I can work on my writings. I feel really at peace with the plants and colors all around.
3. Essex Modern City: I stumbled upon this place a couple months ago and lost it. The thing that makes my blog different from most is that I drive around looking for the most amazing walls in the city that celebrate our diverse collective of artists and this is the place that inspires me to want to create more.
4. Las Mangonadas: Whenever you walk into a place and they speak Spanish to you you know that place is legit. I've been going here at least twice a month since a follower shared it with me. The horchata is so creamy and they use real fruit in their mangonadas. They have ice cream flavors like gansito and las marias and best of all is their paleta selection. Spending time in Mexico exposed me to so many fruits that I'm able to get the paletas there to remind me of home.
5. The Art of Donut: I'm not a sweet tooth at all. I love savory. That's why I love their Bacon Donut. I mean in a perfect world I'd be the girl ordering the donut with no toppings just fried dough but I crave this donut.
6. Sangria on the Burg: When you're able to walk in a restaurant and are greeted with such genuine happiness you know you're winning. The smells, the smiles and overall vibe of the place makes fighting for parking completely worth it. The food speaks for itself but you're not going to leave hungry.
7. Soundcream Airstream Wednesdays at the Historic Pearl: You know you're bound to find me posted up on the quad from mid-May until late fall when this event starts. I have a picnic blanket, wine, snacks and everything ready to spend the night under the stars with good music. Plus Kris Jenner and Hypeman make the night iconic.
8. Modernist: Watching people work on something they're passionate about is meaningful magic. I didn't really start drinking until this year due to some reasons but I'm really glad I did. I love that you can tell them what you're feeling and what you like and get a glass full of art.
9. Karolina's Antiques: When I partnered with Fiesta this year I gathered all my medals and realized I packed most of them away in the great move. So I needed to get more because who are you without medals? I found this place and instantly fell in love with their charm. I also found the cutest bags, so it was win.
10. Evergreen Garden: I love being outside and I love plants. So most for most of my plants I go here or I take 900 pictures to look at when I'm sad.
11. RIP: The Patio at El Mirador: I am an "outside, please," sitter. I will pick that over the window seat and sit there pretty much in Texas summer heat. But next year I won't be able to because RIP. Unless the new owner keeps these same patio vibes.
12. Brackenridge Park: I won't stop my endless love letters to outdoor living in the big city. But walking around for hours in this park is something I do when I have a lot on my mind.
13. Lucky Noodle: Lifting noods lifts moods. It also is really close to my job and I can head there on my lunch break and get my filling of bowl of hand stretched noodles and dumplings. Because it doesn't matter how big the bowl of soups is... you always get dumplings.
14. Ro-ho Pork & Bread: Tortas ahogadas were pretty much a food group growing up as a dual country child. I remember going to different food stands in Guadalajara when I was a kid and getting ever so messy. So when we found this place it was like being a kid again.
15. Hanzo: or where I'll take you when I wanna know the inner most workings of your soul because I will. The lengthy Sunday and Monday happy hours mean we're going to sit in my usual spot and we're gonna get deep. It's cozy, dark and moody and that means you'll be more open to spill the tea.
16. Press Coffee: Coffee shops are normally loud and daunting, but both locations this coffee shop was at were not. I love reading, writing or creating here because I know distractions will be minimal but the new home of Press is a dream. Those windows let me feel outside, inside and the lighting is just energizing.
17. Worth Repeating at Brick at Blue Star: If you haven't caught the overall vibe of my lovelist it's that I live for getting to know things. I ask way too many questions and really enjoy knowing what makes up people. So what better way to do that then sitting and listening to people share their stories in a room with a whole bunch of other people. 7 stories, $7 and two beers that's a huge win. I loved it so much that I signed up to be on the storyboard this year.
18. El Bucanero: again another place where my first language is spoken just as commonly as English. It's also a place where Christine and I go to bond and ceviche is also life.
19. Love Will Always Be There Mural: I love love. I always have and no matter how hard life gets or how uncertain it really is, this mural serves as a reminder that love will be there no matter what.
20. Fiesta Oyster Bake: Even though I didn't go to St. Mary's I still love this event. Hands down it has my favorite chicken on a stick and it's got a carnival, music and everything. Basically it's happy place for me filled with a lot of memories.
21. Feliz Modern: if I were to list places I'd avoid if I wanted to keep money in my bank account, this would be a the top of the list. I love flamingos, they have plenty of flamingo things. I love cards, wall full of cute carts. Their iconic IG like notification is always with me and I may or may not IG window shop their feed on a daily basis.
22. Taquitos West Avenue after 11pm: late night eats are something I enjoy as a luxury and there's something magical about standing in line knowing that at the end of the line is tacos. Again growing up Mex, I had the best tacos of my life because Al Pastor is life and finding trompo was the ultimate win for me.
23. The Rustic: Say what you wanna say but a place with live music and patio vibes is a winner in my book. I have a special place in my heart for the Rim because I went to UTSA and I mostly go here for nostalgic reasons and to make my friends mad that they have to drive to my side of town.
24. Barbaro: I have Erin to blame for this one as well as Modernist. She's always on the bougie cocktail life and I feel that sitting at the bar in this establishment is the only way to fully enjoy the experience. I'll choose indoors over outdoors here anyday. Plus as mentioned earlier... late night eats anyone? This place has pizza and a cocktail for $10 after 10pm EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!
25. Denman Estate Park: is my hideaway in the city. It was built for one of the SA's sister cities but the vibes are breathtaking. I love going there often with Quebec, and walking in circles, meditating on different things each go around. Plus that pavillion is gorgeous.
26. 2M Smokehouse: no good Texas Lovelist is complete without meat and by meat I mean bbq which is basically a large portion of my diet. Sausage is how I judge a place and well they have one of the best… because it has cheese! That’s not the only thing that makes this worth the drive. I should mention that I spent some time growing up in Charleston, SC and I know bbq. So trust me when I vouch for this place.
So there ya have it, SA. Here's the 2018 lovelist faves. And between you and me 5 of these are my ultimate favorite but that's a secret I'll never tell.